This short video features the diorama dedicated to Texas Ranger William “Big Foot” Wallace, who was originally from Lexington, Virginia, but went to Texas to “take pay out of the Mexicans” after learning both his brother and his cousin had been shot dead in the Goliad massacre. What is remarkableto me about this diorama is that William “big Foot” Wallace could very well have been one of the scalp huntere out of Cormac McCarthy’s brilliant, but devastating, novel Blood Meridian. And given I had just finished that novel a few weeks before visiting the wax museum, you’ll hear me start to make the connection between William “Big Foot” Wallace and McCarthy’s rendering of the Judge. crazy to see bounty hunters like this framed in such a way, I mean I never realized Texas Ranger is just another name for imperial bounty hunter—explains a lot about that baseball team.
Watch the bava blog trailer!
is an ongoing conversation about media of all kinds ...
Generations from now, they won't call it the Internet anymore. They'll just say, "I logged on to the Jim Groom this morning.
Everything Jim Groom touches is gold. He's like King Midas, but with the Internet.
My understanding is that an essential requirement of the internet is to do whatever Jim Groom asks of you while you're online.
-James D. Calder
@jimgroom is the Billy Martin of edtech.
My 3yr old son is VERY intrigued by @jimgroom's avatar. "Is he a superhero?" "Well, yes, son, to many he is."
Jim Groom is a fiery man.
-Antonella Dalla Torre
“Reverend” Jim “The Bava” Groom, alias “Snake Pliskin” is a charlatan and a fraud, a self-confessed “used car salesman” clawing his way into the glamour of the education technology keynote circuit via the efforts of his oppressed minions at the University of Mary Washington’s DTLT and beyond. The monster behind educational time-sink ds106 and still recovering from his bid for hipster stardom with “Edupunk”, Jim spends his days using his dwindling credibility to sell cheap webhosting to gullible undergraduates and getting banned from YouTube for gross piracy.
I am Jim Groom
Find out more about me here.
- Anne-Marie on So Your iPhone was Stolen in Milan
- Venture is up and running! | bavatuesdays on bavacade work log 2-9-2023
- Jim Grooom on So Your iPhone was Stolen in Milan
- Jim Groom on So Your iPhone was Stolen in Milan
- Alan Levine on So Your iPhone was Stolen in Milan
- Anne-Marie on So Your iPhone was Stolen in Milan
- Jim Groom on Who am I Here?
- Thom on Who am I Here?
- Reverend on Who am I Here?
- Alan on Who am I Here?
- bavacade work log 2-9-2023 | bavatuesdays on Scramble Project Update: Stenciling the Side Art
- bavacade work log 2-9-2023 | bavatuesdays on bavacade’s Bitkit2 in Pac-man
- Martha on Web Building at UMW or, Why Shannon Hauser is #4life
- This Mastodon Will Explode, Session 1 | bavatuesdays on Mission Mastodon: This Server Will Explode in 90 Days
- Hacking the Pioneer DVL-909 for Multi-Region | bavatuesdays on The Other Multiregion in My Life: Pioneer DVL-909
- Venture is up and running!
- It’s Father’s Day, and I want my cake!
- So Your iPhone was Stolen in Milan
- All Roads Lead Back to the Blog
- Who am I Here?
- bavacade work log 2-9-2023
- bavacade’s Bitkit2 in Pac-man
- This Mastodon Will Explode, Session 1
- Hacking the Pioneer DVL-909 for Multi-Region
- Mission Mastodon: This Server Will Explode in 90 Days
browse the bavarchive
- Alan Levine
- Andy Rush
- Audrey Watters
- Bonnie Stewart
- Brian Lamb
- Bryan Alexander
- Chris Lott
- Clint LaLonde
- Cole Camplese
- Darcy Norman
- David Kernohan
- David Wiley
- Gardner Campbell
- GNA Garcia
- Grant Potter
- Jeffrey Keefer
- Jon Beasley-Murray
- Jon Udell
- Kate Bowles
- Kin Lane
- Laura Blankenship
- Leslie Madsen-Brooks
- Lisa M Lane
- Martha Burtis
- Martin Hawksey
- Martin Weller
- Mike Caulfield
- Mikhail Gershovich
- Paul Bond
- Scott Leslie
- Serena Epstein
- Shannon Hauser
- Stephen Downes
- The OLDaily
- Tim Owens
- Tom Woodward
- Tony Hirst
Thats’ just you historical ignorance of Texas and the rangers shining through. Bigfoot Wallace wasn’t a scalp hunter and the Texas ranger weren’t bounty hunters. You should probably read a little more about Texas history instead of believing everything you read in fictional works.
Thanks for the comment, what do your recommend I read?
Hey Rev. Sorry I was a might touchy, but we Texans are proud of our heroes and get a little riled-up when we read inaccuracies. The most factual book on Bigfoot was written by A.J. Sowell and their isn’t a scalp taken by him within its pages. There have been a few great books on the rangers written in the last few years. Try any book by Charles Wilkins, Stephen L. Moore or Bob Utley. The rangers were mounted militia, soldiers and finally law officers, but never bounty hunters in Texas.
Blood Meridian is actually based on a man named Glanton, who was booted out of the rangers and later became a bounty hunter and outlaw in Mexico.
And no worries, I don’t get too touchy about things like this because you were right, I was ignorant 🙂 Looking forward to reading about Bigfoot, because that whole period fascinates me, and in no small part due to McCarthy’s craziness. But a little context may do me well.
Thanks again, Bob, and Viva la Tejas!
You’re welcome. That sign isn’t totally right either. Bigfoot is buried in Austin at the State Cemetery next to Father of Texas Stephen F. Austin. High praise for services rendered.