This poll started out as a way to test Lester ‘GaMerZ’ Chan’s WordPress Poll plugin (which is pretty slick by the way), and quickly turned into a full-fledged poll asking what you think are the five best film adaptations of a Stephen King novel or story. I am limiting this poll to films only for the sake of simplicity and space. I know this may omit some great short films, TV Movies, Mini-Series, film episodes, music videos, etc., but King is far too prolific and the list of media adaptations of his stories and novels is itself horrifically long.
Keep in mind that I may have missed a few, so please use the comments to either slap my wrist or make a snide remark.
I think you’ll be amazed at two things as a result of this poll:
1) How many solid directors (some even great) made very good films out of a King work.
2) How hard it is to choose a top 5.
Just check the box next to your top five and click on the vote button and your done and you can then see the results.
What are your five favorite film adaptations of a Stephen King novel or story?
- The Shining (1980) by Stanley Kubrick (15%, 34 Votes)
- Shawshank Redemption (1994) by Frank Darabont (15%, 32 Votes)
- Stand by Me (1986) by Rob Reiner (12%, 27 Votes)
- Misery (1990) by Rob Reiner (11%, 25 Votes)
- The Green Mile (1999) by Frank Darabont (9%, 19 Votes)
- Carrie (1976) by Brian DePalma (8%, 17 Votes)
- The Dead Zone (1983) by David Cronenberg (5%, 12 Votes)
- Creepshow (1982) by George Romero (3%, 7 Votes)
- Pet Cemetary (1989) by Mary Lambert (3%, 7 Votes)
- The Mist (2007) by Frank Darabont (3%, 6 Votes)
- Firestarter (1984) by Mark L. Lester (2%, 4 Votes)
- The Running Man (1987) by Paul Michael Glaser (2%, 4 Votes)
- Cujo (1983) by Lewis Teague (1%, 3 Votes)
- Christine (1983) by John Carpenter (1%, 3 Votes)
- Children of the Corn (1984) Fritz Kiersch (1%, 3 Votes)
- Cat's Eye (1985) by Lewis Teague (1%, 2 Votes)
- Dreamcatcher (2003) by Lawrence Kasdan (1%, 2 Votes)
- Maximum Overdrive (1986) by Stephen King (1%, 2 Votes)
- The Lawnmower Man (1992) by Brett Leonard (I imagine Stephen King would suggest this should not be on the list) (1%, 2 Votes)
- Dolores Claibourne (1995) by Taylor Hackford (1%, 2 Votes)
- The Dark Half (1993) by George Romero (1%, 2 Votes)
- Apt Pupil (1998) by Bryan Singer (0%, 1 Votes)
- Thinner (1996) by Tom Holland (0%, 1 Votes)
- Needful Things (1993) by Fraser Clarke Heston (0%, 1 Votes)
- Silver Bullet (1985) by Daniel Attias (0%, 1 Votes)
- Sleepwalkers (1992) by Mick Garris (0%, 1 Votes)
- The Mangler (1995) by Tobe Hooper (0%, 0 Votes)
- Sometime's They Come Back (1991) by Tom McLoughlin (0%, 0 Votes)
- Creepshow 2 (1987) by Michael Gornick (0%, 0 Votes)
- Graveyard Shift (1990) by Ralph S. Singleton (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 150