In today’s live broadcast we were fortunate enough to have the diabolical sock puppet Stella Meme join us. She left us with an awesome resource here with links to a number of excellent videos resources such as RIP: A Remix Manifesto (featuring Girl Talk), Larry Lessig on copyright, and Steven Johnson’s Where Good Ideas Come From. What’s more Otto Paertz joined in at the end of the call when discussing the ds106 assignment repository.
The conversation is a free-ranging discussion about everything from creativity, Jonestown, copyright, creative commons, Hollywood cannibalizing itself, HBO, the role of popular culture in our moment, design assignments and much, much more. Enjoy!
Tomorrow’s session will look at some particular Design assignment examples and hopefully work through an example. On Thursday we jump to Audio, so be sure to download Audacity if you don’t have an application for audio editing on your computer.
Also, a couple of points I want to reiterate for the UMW for-credit students:
- Be sure you are commenting on other people’s work, I can’t emphasize how important this is to your success in this course
- Building on the first point, please be sure you are moderating all comments on your blog and publishing them so others can get credit for them
- You need to make sure you post a link to your assignments on Twitter, with a link to your blog and the #ds106 hashtag
- Have you changed your Daily Shoots to a Creative Commons license? And are you tweeting them daily and using hashtag #ds106
- YouTube video responses to the daily live broadcasts? Chelsea is carrying you all on this.
- I will be sending out a schedule for Skype calls this Friday so that I can speak with each of you for 5 or 10 minutes about your progress in this class thus far. Your assessment.