Eyes are the neon shutters to the soul of Reclaim Arcade…
Last weekend Tim Stahmer and Kathy Manley stopped by Reclaim Arcade with cameras in hand. Tim has been a big fan of the arcade, and I am thrilled he finally made it down. By pure happenstance I happened to check-in at the arcade the morning he arrived, and it was fun to do a short tour with him via robot from Italy.
Tim’s photos are up at his Flickr account, and I have already tweeted about how much I love the:
I really love this shot @timstahmer took while @reclaimarcade this weekend https://t.co/X5wdox6I0C There are a bunch of gems, but the colors in this one are amazing, not to mention the partial hint of the full neon Reclaim Arcade sign, so good! pic.twitter.com/qhu3w8gcZE
— Jim Groom (@jimgroom) March 23, 2021
But seeing both his and Kathy’s photos reminded me how special it is to see your vision refracted through the lens of someone else’s eyes, and the fact it becomes almost something else to you in some bizarrely beautiful transmogrification of experience. It’s hard to articulate, but it’s like I am seeing it all anew in a way that is truly special, so thanks to them both.
I really loved see the space reflected back to me in ways I just never saw it, particularly the detail of Groot from our newest pinball, Guardians of the Galaxy,” that I have only seen via Robot.
I have said it before, but the side art and lit marquees from these games, not to mention the attraction screen, are all the furniture you’d ever need. They are so beautiful, and see the detail from photos like the family at the Rally-X cocktail highlights that for me, such as the Heist pinball side art, and the Donkey Kong in the background, not to mention the lit coin slots on the Kangaroo way off to the back. It is all so gorgeous. But more than anything it is the glow of the CRT on the players that highlights that shared object of desire that brings folks together. If only you could see what I’ve seen with your eyes…
Kathy’s photos are amazing, and you can see them all here: https://www.work2snap.com/Northern-Virginia-Parks-/Reclaim-Arcade/
I wanted to avoid reproducing anything without permissions, so I am linking to a few gems here:
- This shot of the Alice Cooper pinball looks amazing! https://www.work2snap.com/Northern-Virginia-Parks-/Reclaim-Arcade/i-KGs8sg8/A
- Stranger Things is definitely my favorite pinball machine, and you can see it in all its glory here: https://www.work2snap.com/Northern-Virginia-Parks-/Reclaim-Arcade/i-DFxgDKP/A
- Love this shot of the iconic Atari 2600 joystick: https://www.work2snap.com/Northern-Virginia-Parks-/Reclaim-Arcade/i-WMJpMVR/A
- And the Asteroids reflection on Tempest is magic: https://www.work2snap.com/Northern-Virginia-Parks-/Reclaim-Arcade/i-Xwgkp4s/A
- And I love this one of Tim and I chatting man-to-robot: https://www.work2snap.com/Northern-Virginia-Parks-/Reclaim-Arcade/i-D2tPcKM/A
And there are so many more, I am gonna have to reach out to both Tim and Kathy to see if we can get some of this amazing shots on our Google, Yelp, or Trip Advisor profile, we need your eyes!