Watch the bava blog trailer!
is an ongoing conversation about media of all kinds ...
Generations from now, they won't call it the Internet anymore. They'll just say, "I logged on to the Jim Groom this morning.
Everything Jim Groom touches is gold. He's like King Midas, but with the Internet.
My understanding is that an essential requirement of the internet is to do whatever Jim Groom asks of you while you're online.
-James D. Calder
@jimgroom is the Billy Martin of edtech.
My 3yr old son is VERY intrigued by @jimgroom's avatar. "Is he a superhero?" "Well, yes, son, to many he is."
Jim Groom is a fiery man.
-Antonella Dalla Torre
“Reverend” Jim “The Bava” Groom, alias “Snake Pliskin” is a charlatan and a fraud, a self-confessed “used car salesman” clawing his way into the glamour of the education technology keynote circuit via the efforts of his oppressed minions at the University of Mary Washington’s DTLT and beyond. The monster behind educational time-sink ds106 and still recovering from his bid for hipster stardom with “Edupunk”, Jim spends his days using his dwindling credibility to sell cheap webhosting to gullible undergraduates and getting banned from YouTube for gross piracy.
I am Jim Groom
Find out more about me here.
- lily on Child Bride (1938)
- Reverend on Getting Ready for Reclaim Open
- Getting Ready for Reclaim Open | bavatuesdays on Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club
- Eric Likness on Getting Ready for Reclaim Open
- Getting Ready for Reclaim Open | bavatuesdays on 10 Years Off the Sauce
- Reverend on Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club
- Reverend on Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club
- Tim Owens on Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club
- Meredith on Child Bride (1938)
- Anne-Marie Scott on Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club
- Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club | bavatuesdays on The Boy Who Streamed Too Much
- Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club | bavatuesdays on Reclaim Karaoke: Testing 1,2,3
- Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club | bavatuesdays on Friday Night Karaoke at OERcamp.global
- Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club | bavatuesdays on Summer Summit 2020 KaraOERke Setup Update
- Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club | bavatuesdays on YouTube, Copyright, and the ongoing Claims on our Culture
- Getting Ready for Reclaim Open
- Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club
- Metaphor’s in the Water, You Go in the Water
- The Boy Who Streamed Too Much
- Reclaim Karaoke: Testing 1,2,3
- Reclaim Karaoke Test on ds106radio
- Presenting Reclaim Cloud at OER23
- The Allure of Mastodon
- Creating a Domain Alias for Mastodon Files Served through DigitalOcean Spaces
- Moving Mastodon Object Storage from AWS S3 to DigitalOcean Spaces
browse the bavarchive
- Alan Levine
- Andy Rush
- Audrey Watters
- Bonnie Stewart
- Brian Lamb
- Bryan Alexander
- Chris Lott
- Clint LaLonde
- Cole Camplese
- Darcy Norman
- David Kernohan
- David Wiley
- Gardner Campbell
- GNA Garcia
- Grant Potter
- Jeffrey Keefer
- Jon Beasley-Murray
- Jon Udell
- Kate Bowles
- Kin Lane
- Laura Blankenship
- Leslie Madsen-Brooks
- Lisa M Lane
- Martha Burtis
- Martin Hawksey
- Martin Weller
- Mike Caulfield
- Mikhail Gershovich
- Paul Bond
- Scott Leslie
- Serena Epstein
- Shannon Hauser
- Stephen Downes
- The OLDaily
- Tim Owens
- Tom Woodward
- Tony Hirst
Category Archives: Reclaim Arcade
C.H.U.D. Sundays at Reclaim Video
Highlight of trip was witnessing C.H.U.D. Sunday tradition @reclaimvideo: all C.H.U.D. all day on the VCR every Sunday. Shane and Connor are the architects whose obsession with C.H.U.D. underscores the magic of crossing intentional spaces like @ReclaimArcade with amazing people. … Continue reading
bavaweekly 12-29-2021 -the Show Notes
I took yesterday off for a nice walk in the mountains with visiting friends, which was a real treat. 2021 offered a few glimpses of life after the pandemic with various visitors from across the Atlantic which made life happier … Continue reading
Reclaim Arcade: Cap Kit for a K4900
Last week Tim and I did some Reclaim Arcade repairs, this time replacing the capacitors (often referred to as a cap kit) for the monitor chassis of a Wells Gardner K4900. I wanted to see Tim do a full cap … Continue reading
Robot Tour of Reclaim Arcade
This morning I streamed and recorded a tour of Reclaim Arcade via the robot. It’s always fun to do this kind of thing, and hopefully this video gives you some sense of the space.
Docking the New Reclaim Robot
We got an updated version of the Double Robotics robot, Double 3, and I spent a bunch of time playing with it this afternoon in Reclaim Arcade. The previous Reclaim the Robot had taken one too many knocks on the … Continue reading
Reclaim Arcade Repairs: Like and Subscribe!
With some headspace slowly freeing up between running Reclaim Hosting and Reclaim Arcade, Tim and I have been getting back to some of the joy of Reclaim. As it often begins, Tim got a couple of toys to help me … Continue reading
Love Games at Reclaim Arcade
Tim shared a music video that was recorded at Reclaim Arcade this Spring from the artist Devsoul X VIVA MONSTA with a song titled “Love Games.” It is pretty awesome to see the artists playing Pitfall in the living room … Continue reading
Reclaim Hosting Turns 8
Happy 8th Birthday to our dear @ReclaimHosting! ?? — Lauren Hanks (@brumface) July 23, 2021 Little note here on the bavablog to recognize that last week Reclaim Hosting turned 8 years old. Seems like just yesterday I was blogging about … Continue reading
Return to Reclaim Arcade
“Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector’s passion borders on the chaos of memories.” — Walter Benjamin In mid-May I took a trip back to Fredericksburg, which included a quick jaunt to Long Island to see family and … Continue reading
Reclaim Arcade Repair Log: Mortal Kombat, Gauntlet, Make Trax, Karate Champ, and Gyruss Cocktail
On Wednesday of this week Tim and I caught up on some arcade repairs. Coming into Reclaim Arcade via robot I’m more a cheerleader/annoyance than help, but I learn a ton so at least one of us gets something out of … Continue reading