Watch the bava blog trailer!
is an ongoing conversation about media of all kinds ...
Generations from now, they won't call it the Internet anymore. They'll just say, "I logged on to the Jim Groom this morning.
Everything Jim Groom touches is gold. He's like King Midas, but with the Internet.
My understanding is that an essential requirement of the internet is to do whatever Jim Groom asks of you while you're online.
-James D. Calder
@jimgroom is the Billy Martin of edtech.
My 3yr old son is VERY intrigued by @jimgroom's avatar. "Is he a superhero?" "Well, yes, son, to many he is."
Jim Groom is a fiery man.
-Antonella Dalla Torre
“Reverend” Jim “The Bava” Groom, alias “Snake Pliskin” is a charlatan and a fraud, a self-confessed “used car salesman” clawing his way into the glamour of the education technology keynote circuit via the efforts of his oppressed minions at the University of Mary Washington’s DTLT and beyond. The monster behind educational time-sink ds106 and still recovering from his bid for hipster stardom with “Edupunk”, Jim spends his days using his dwindling credibility to sell cheap webhosting to gullible undergraduates and getting banned from YouTube for gross piracy.
I am Jim Groom
Find out more about me here.
- lily on Child Bride (1938)
- Reverend on Getting Ready for Reclaim Open
- Getting Ready for Reclaim Open | bavatuesdays on Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club
- Eric Likness on Getting Ready for Reclaim Open
- Getting Ready for Reclaim Open | bavatuesdays on 10 Years Off the Sauce
- Reverend on Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club
- Reverend on Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club
- Tim Owens on Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club
- Meredith on Child Bride (1938)
- Anne-Marie Scott on Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club
- Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club | bavatuesdays on The Boy Who Streamed Too Much
- Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club | bavatuesdays on Reclaim Karaoke: Testing 1,2,3
- Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club | bavatuesdays on Friday Night Karaoke at OERcamp.global
- Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club | bavatuesdays on Summer Summit 2020 KaraOERke Setup Update
- Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club | bavatuesdays on YouTube, Copyright, and the ongoing Claims on our Culture
- Getting Ready for Reclaim Open
- Reclaim Karaoke at the Rockaway Club
- Metaphor’s in the Water, You Go in the Water
- The Boy Who Streamed Too Much
- Reclaim Karaoke: Testing 1,2,3
- Reclaim Karaoke Test on ds106radio
- Presenting Reclaim Cloud at OER23
- The Allure of Mastodon
- Creating a Domain Alias for Mastodon Files Served through DigitalOcean Spaces
- Moving Mastodon Object Storage from AWS S3 to DigitalOcean Spaces
browse the bavarchive
- Alan Levine
- Andy Rush
- Audrey Watters
- Bonnie Stewart
- Brian Lamb
- Bryan Alexander
- Chris Lott
- Clint LaLonde
- Cole Camplese
- Darcy Norman
- David Kernohan
- David Wiley
- Gardner Campbell
- GNA Garcia
- Grant Potter
- Jeffrey Keefer
- Jon Beasley-Murray
- Jon Udell
- Kate Bowles
- Kin Lane
- Laura Blankenship
- Leslie Madsen-Brooks
- Lisa M Lane
- Martha Burtis
- Martin Hawksey
- Martin Weller
- Mike Caulfield
- Mikhail Gershovich
- Paul Bond
- Scott Leslie
- Serena Epstein
- Shannon Hauser
- Stephen Downes
- The OLDaily
- Tim Owens
- Tom Woodward
- Tony Hirst
Tag Archives: Aside
Ten Years Online @ The Washington Post
This article looks back at the Washington Post’s ten year relationship to the online publishing world, arguing that not until quite recently has the MSM started imagining the full potential of online publishing -with a little help from the blogosphere … Continue reading
WSJ on Craigslist Refusal to Advertise
Interesting article in WSJ about Craigslist turning its nose up at half a billion dollars in advertising revenue. Craigslist’s obstinate insistence on giving away what newspapers have made their bread and butter has gotten the company a lot of media … Continue reading
Second Life Ecosystem
Zach just pointed me to a recent boingboing article about a game programmer who took time off to be with her child and, as a diversion, create an ecosystem in Second Life!
Universities not ready for open source?
Insidehighered.com quotes a recent study (conducted by the Alliance for Higher Education Competitiveness) that finds Universities are not ready for open source! Interesting read for thinking about precisely why this might be the case …
The following article on Slashdot is from an IT person (I assume) at an Art College who is asking for advice about dealing with his colleges pending move to an entirely laptop campus … interesting concept!
The MoAD’s Virtual Museums
The Museum of the African Diaspora (MoAD) in San Francisco has one of the most elegant and important exhibits I have yet to see online. The “Photographs from the African Diaspora” virtual exhibit is truly visionary, be sure to take … Continue reading
Philip K. Dick Robot Missing!!!
Philip K. Dick Robot Missing!!! Boing Boing reports here. Isn’t this image really creepy.
Dungeons & Dragons Online
The D&D online game is now accepting pre-orders. And if you do pre-order the game you get the added value of becoming a beta-tester. Wow, there goes all my new-found hopes for the dissertation …
I found this site through Bryan Alexander’s cornucopia of great things at Infocult -who in turn credits it to Brian Lamb. And, wow, what a resource it is!!! I downloaded 10 Samuel Beckett mp3s last night – “cats in NY … Continue reading
Derecki for President!!!
Look at our own pushy New Yorker working the angles already! I thought Cathy was the new President for a second … read the whole story on Fredericksburg.com.